Living History Tour scheduled to be held Saturday, October 18, from 2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
New and improved Interment Books Database - Check it out HERE.
CLICK HERE for PDF of scan codes to download the NEW APP for the City Cemetery.
It would be best to get the app while at home. Downloading at the cemetery is extremelly
slow at this time.
CLICK HERE for NEW Spring 2014 Newsletter
To schedule an event at the City Cemetery CLICK HERE for Metro Historical Commission application
CLICK HERE for suggestions from the
Metro Historical Commission before you make a
visit to Nashville City Cemetery and CLICK HERE for helpful parking suggestions
CLICK HERE to review the Policy and Fees Manual for the Nashville City Cemetery.
A site offering examples of symbolism used on gravestones - www.graveaddiction.com.
Opened in 1822, the City Cemetery is the oldest continuously operated public cemetery in Nashville.
A walk through the cemetery is truly a walk through Nashville's history. The gravestones tell the stories of individuals and families from the 1820s to the present day.
In response to the disrepair, vandalism, and neglect over many decades, former Mayor Bill Purcell and the Metro Council approved the Mayor's Capital Budget request for a $3M project to restore the City Cemetery. The Restoration, including conserved tombstones and monuments as well as new street signs, lighting, paved walkways & roadways and interpretive signage will be completed in the fall of 2009. Many exciting and noticeable improvements are in progress. You can join the Nashville City Cemetery Association in continuing to help to preserve this fragile historic site by becoming a member, attending our tours and events, volunteering, and/or making donations. We are always interested in hearing from descendants of those buried there.
Nashville City Cemetery is located at 1001 Fourth Avenue South, at the corner of Fourth Avenue South and Oak Street. Click here for map.
Nashville City Cemetery, under the supervision of the Metro Historical Commission, is open daily for public visitation from Dawn to Dusk. Please call the phone number on the front entrance sign if the gate is locked between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.